Main Governing Bodies of CATIE
CATIE has three main governing bodies:
1. The Inter-American Board of Agriculture (IABA)
2. The Governing Council of Ministers
3. The Board of Directors
The Inter-American Board of Agriculture
The Inter-American Board of Agriculture (IABA) is the supreme governing body of CATIE. It is integrated by 34 member states and holds an ordinary meeting every two years.
The Governing Council of Ministers
The Council consists of 14 countries of Latin America and the Caribbean which are regular or affiliated members of CATIE. The Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) has a permanent seat on the Council, as well a representative of the IABA. This completes a total of 16 members.
Regular member countries are: Belize , Bolivia , Colombia , Costa Rica, El Salvador , Guatemala , Honduras , Mexico , Nicaragua , Panama , Paraguay , Dominican Republic and Venezuela. CATIE also has an additional affiliated member, which is the State of Acre, Brazil.
The President of the Governing Council is Arturo Solórzano, current Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica.
The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors consists of 13 members, who provide their services “ad honorem” and meet at least twice a year. The Board includes four permanent members: the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica , the Director General of IICA, a representative of the IABA and a representative of the Governing Council; as well as four directors representing member countries and five directors representing the international community.
Their guidelines are implemented by the Director General of CATIE with the support of the Directors of Administration and Finance, Research, Outreach and Education. The Director General is also the Ex Officio Secretary of the Board.
The Director General of CATIE is appointed by the Board and ratified by the Governing Council for a term of four years and may be reelected only once for an additional period. Currently the Director General of CATIE is Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim, who holds this position since 2016.
The Board of Directors
Minister, Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica
General Director, Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA)
José Juventino Gálvez
Limber L. Cruz Pérez
Guyanese, Director General of CATIE
The Governing Council
- Renato Alvarado, Costa Rica, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock
- Godwin Hulse, Belize, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Natural Resources and Agriculture
- César Hugo Cocarico, Bolivia, Ministry of Rural Development and Lands
- Muhammad Ibrahim, CATIE, General Director
- Rodolfo Enrique Zea Navarro, Colombia, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
- Pablo Salvador Anliker Infante, El Salvador, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock
- Oscar Bonilla, Guatemala, Ministerio de Agricultura, Ganadería y Alimentación
- Mauricio Guevara, Honduras, Secretariat of State of the Offices of Agriculture and Livestock
- Manuel Otero, General Director of IICA
- Víctor Manuel Villalobos Arámbula, Mexico, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food
- Edward Centeno, Nicaragua, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Augusto Valderrama, Panama, Ministry of Agricultural Development
- Rolando de Barros Barreto, Paraguay, Secretariat of the Environment
- Osmar Benitez, Dominican Republic, Ministry of Agriculture
- Wilmar Castro Soteldo, Venezuela, Ministry of People's Power for Agriculture and Land