The three-year project is organized in two phases.
The first phase is developed during the first year of the project and is exploratory in nature. The aim is to strengthen knowledge in monitoring systems and technologies and understand the interrelationships among countries and organizations. It is also expected that the participation of national stakeholders will enable identification of priority work areas in forest monitoring to satisfy the needs of the countries in this field.
Through the activities mentioned, networks of experts in forest monitoring are expected to be built and strengthened and examples of monitoring initiatives offered, along with the technologies used in those systems. The goal is to encourage the adoption of technologies in those countries that need them.
The second phase, to be developed during the following two years of the project, will focus on facilitating technical assistance on forest monitoring. Assistance will focus on answering requests for technical assistance made by the countries in the area that help identify, prioritize and implement technologies related to climate change.
Project strategy and operational structure
The strategy of the project is to build national capacities to identify, analyze, develop and transfer technologies through:
- Promotion of regional collaborative efforts.
- Support in planning and policy-making processes at national and sectorial levels.
- A platform for demonstration of policies and enabling mechanisms.
- Mobilization of public and private resources.
Four components have been created to achieve the established targets. These components are as follows:
The activities to be developed include:
- Dialogs with experts on technologies and policies related to climate change in the context of national monitoring systems.
- Development of policy recommendations to integrate adoption of technologies within national monitoring systems.
- Regional dialogs on planning related to climate change and the use of technologies.
- Development of considerations and tools that allow the countries to adopt technologies according to their needs.
- Dissemination and creation of networks of experts in technologies and their application.
- Development of sectorial overviews of technologies for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Identification of regional, national and local initiatives that include strategic frameworks and policies and monitoring systems in order to learn about experiences and barriers to implementation.
The following activities will be carried out in this component:
- Preparation of case studies on development and transfer of technologies related to climate change.
- Preparation of roadmaps for adoption of environmentally sound technologies.
- Provision of technical assistance for adoption of technologies.
The project also will support mobilization of international financing related to the climate, assist in preparation of proposals and facilitate the formation of alliances.