CATIE has managed and consolidated agreements with organizations and entities in Latin America, which offer financing solutions for people interested in studying postgraduate degrees abroad. This financing allows them to defray the costs of tuition, air tickets and accommodation during the study period.
In addition, the institution also manages projects that include scholarships for master's and doctoral studies. For this financing, students with the best averages in the admission exam are considered, they are contacted directly by the Graduate School.
If you are interested in pursuing postgraduate studies at CATIE and wish to apply for a scholarship or educational loan, it is important that you know in detail the calls and procedures to opt for one of these financing models.
In turn, you must consider that the conditions vary from one country to another, in terms of coverage amounts, application dates, requirements, required documentation, application opening and closing dates.
It is recommended to carry out a preliminary research, analyze options and compare the requirements, benefits, and obligations for each of the existing financing opportunities in your country. You should keep in mind that this process can take between four and five months.
Open call for scholarships
In general, they are non-reimbursable funds that are awarded based on merit criteria, either for the academic performance of the applicant, their socioeconomic conditions and/or professional profile. It is important to consider that in many cases scholarships require the person to return to their country of origin and join a specific labor sector (based on the interests of the entity that awards the scholarship).
Most of the calls require that the applicant has completed the admission process (or, that said process is very advanced and has very specific procedures pending).
a)Annual calls (permanent): They have an application window with a defined opening date and reception of documents (generally, it is the same every year). Interested persons should read and analyze very carefully the conditions and requirements of the scholarship, as well as determine if the call includes the subject of the master's degree they wish to study, if it specifies the country in which the master's degree will be done, if the amount of the scholarship it is sufficient to cover all expenses (analyze whether partial or total scholarships are awarded) and the period of study it covers.
b)Extraordinary calls: They depend on the existence of specific funds and/or meet a specific need. People interested in having access to these types of funds should be aware of the publications made by the organizations that finance postgraduate studies in their respective countries. It is suggested to consult (by mail or by phone) or visit the entities that have resources for scholarships abroad.
c)State and/or government programs: It is highly recommended to access the pages of the ministries (Agriculture, Environment, Natural Resources, etc.), as well as the state agencies related to sustainability in each country.
Below is a list of organizations that grant scholarships or financing in any of the above modalities:
- DAAD Central America SCHOLARSHIPS
- OAS Latin America SCHOLARSHIPS
- Mexico CONACYT Scholarships
- PROBEPI México
- MESCyT Dominican Republic Scholarships
- SENESCYT Ecuador Scholarships
- PRONABEC Peru
- IFARHU Panama
- SENACYT Panama
- JJ/WBGSP World Bank Scholarships
- CONAPE Financing Costa Rica
- COLFUTURO Financing Colombia
- Prepare an essay (cover letter) stating why you think you deserve a scholarship. Explain what contribution you would make to your country, your community, and your family.
- Be clear about the commitments and responsibility that your scholarship requires. In general, the donor will require reports and submission of grades.
- You must be clear about the amount you require to cover the studies in full. Don't forget to include living costs (room and board). In some cases, scholarships include other expenses, such as transportation; do your research.
- The search for financing is personal and requires an investment of time and dedication.