CATIE is governed by three superior bodies:
1. Inter-American Board of Agriculture (IABA)
It is the supreme body of CATIE. It is made up of 34 member countries, which meet regularly every two years.
2. Superior Council of Ministers
It is made up of a minister from each of the CATIE member countries - linked to the agricultural and / or natural resources sector -, the Director General of the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) and a representative of the IABA. It is chaired by the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica and the Director General of IICA serves as Vice President.
CATIE's regular member countries are Belize, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.
3. Board of Directors
It is made up of 13 members, who render their services ad honorem and meet at least once a year. Each member is carefully selected and participates in it in a personal capacity. Among them are four permanent members: the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica or his representative, the Director General of IICA or his representative, a representative of the IABA and a representative of the Superior Council, as well as four directors representing member countries. CATIE and five directors representing the international community.
Its guidelines are implemented by Muhammad Ibrahim, CATIE's General Director, who is also the Ex officio Secretary of the Board of Directors. He is supported in this mission by the Deputy Director General and the Research for Development Directorates for Inclusive Green Development, Education, Outreach and Global Alliances, as well as Finance and Corporate Services.
Members of the Board of Directors
Member of the Superior Council of Ministers
- Víctor Carvajal Porras, Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganadería
- Jose Abelardo Mai, Belice, Ministry of Agriculture, Food Security and Enterprises of the Government of Belize
- Remmy Gonzáles, Minister of Rural Development and Lands, Bolivia
- Muhammad Ibrahim, Secretary Ex officio of the Superior Council, CATIE
- C. Peter David, Granada, Representative of the Inter-American Board of Agriculture (IABA)
- Enrique José Parada Rivas, El Salvador, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock
- José Ángel López Camposeco, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food, Guatemala
- Laura Suazo, Secretary of Agriculture and Livestock, Honduras
- Manuel Otero, Director General, Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA)
- Lloyd Day, representante del Instituto Interamericano de Cooperación para la Agricultura (IICA)
- Víctor Manuel Villalobos Arámbula, Secretariat of Agriculture and Rural Development (AGRICULTURA), Mexico
- Isidro Antonio Rivera, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Nicaragua
- Augusto Valderrama, Ministry of Agricultural Development, Panama
- César Ariel Oviedo Verdún, Secretariat of Environment, Paraguay
- Limber Cruz López, Ministry of Agriculture, Dominican Republic
- Wilmar Castro Soteldo, Ministry of Popular Power for Agriculture and Lands, Venezuela