CATIE's commercial farm has an approximate area of 130 hectares dedicated to the production of conventional sugar cane and two trials for organic cane production; one with the AsSukkar Company and another with DIECA-LAICA, as well as more than 100 hectares of commercial forest plantations developed in alliance with international companies and donors. The farm also has an area of 85 hectares dedicated to the sustainable production of cattle for meat and milk.
Dr. Jorge León Arguedas Botanical Garden
In the Botanical Garden you can find an attractive collection of tropical plants from different parts of the world, where visitors can carry out outdoor activities in a safe and pleasant way. Also, it has a team of trained people who seek to make each experience unique for those who visit us and that allows us to explore beyond the scientific part.
The Botanical Garden has a diverse offer of activities:
- Birdwatching and identification.
- Night tours.
- Bicycle tours.
- Sustainable tropical dairy.
- International Coffee Collection.
- International Cocoa Collection.
- Germplasm bank of orthodox seeds.
Other activities offered are:
- Talks and workshops on sustainable agriculture in small spaces.
- Preparation of organic fertilizers.
- Management of forest and fruit nurseries.
- Tree planting programs.
- among others.
Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to3:00 p.m.
Tel: +506 2556-2700
Forest Seed Bank
Its creation begins in 1967 with the objective of contributing to the exchange and research for development of forest seeds in the Latin American region. In 2002, the BSF acquires a commercial dimension to supply high quality seeds not only regionally, but globally. Annually seeds are distributed to more than 20 countries and technical advice is offered for the proper handling of seeds, nursery production and establishment of plantations.
If you want to know the different types of seeds we have and want to make a purchase, write to us:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WhatsApp: +506 6365 2201
Production of improved coffee hybrids
CATIE, through the Biotechnology Laboratory and the Forest Seed Bank, consolidated in 2012 a propagation strategy for the F1 hybrids developed by the Coffee Genetic Improvement Project.
What is an F1 hybrid and why is its propagation important? It is a product that arises from a cross between living plant or animal organisms through sexual reproduction.
With the creation and distribution of these hybrids, the following is wanted:
- Reduce plant production times.
- Increase production capacity and reduce costs.
- Greater resistance to diseases such as rust.
- Greater vegetative vigor and high productivity.
- Better adaptability to difficult environments.
- Excellent drinking characteristics.
CATIE Specialty Coffee
CATIE Specialty Coffee in a venture that began in 2019 to market specialty coffees from materials produced by the Coffee Genetic Improvement Program and some outstanding varieties from the International Coffee Collection. In the introduction stage, work was carried out with two of the F1 coffee hybrids (Centroamericano and Esperanza) and soon the offer of other varieties will be increased.
CATIE Biotechnology Laboratory
The Biotechnology Laboratory was established in the early 1980s to develop different biotechnology tools applied to the conservation and use of plant genetic resources of strategic interest to CATIE and its member countries. Since its inception, it has made great contributions in generating knowledge on the propagation, characterization, conservation and genetic improvement of tropical crops such as coffee, cocoa, banana, plantain, abaca, roots, tubers, forest and ornamental species, among others.
The laboratory offers technical advisory services on different topics:
- Development of micropropagation protocols in different species.
- Commercial multiplication of plant varieties, clones, elite plants or other genetic material.
- Training in somatic embryogenesis of coffee, establishment of cell suspensions and management of embryogenic cultures.
- Installation and training in the temporary immersion culture system using RITA® containers.
- Training in the cryopreservation of seeds and different vegetative propagules, using different techniques.
Phone: +506 2558 2386
Accommodations at CATIE
The hotel service is provided mainly to visitors who come to the campus to participate in short courses, seminars, workshops and other types of training. In addition, visitors to the Botanical Garden and clients of the CATIE´s Employees Association (ASOCATIE) who hold events within the main campus (Cafeteria and Club), are housed.
CATIE, being an international university, also houses students from different countries, which is why it has infrastructure so that students can live and remain close to their study center at a lower cost.